Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Decorating on a shoe-string budget




With the exception of one or two pieces of minor furniture (bookcases) I have never bought any brand new furniture. Before Rob and I got married, we bought a houseful of furniture from one of my dad's customers and put it all in storage until we moved into our home the day before our wedding. Since then, we have acquired more used furniture, either bought at a garage sale or Goodwill, and we even had stuff given to us. One of my favorite things ever given to us was a blue checked couch that Rebecca Negron gave me. Since our living room is green, it now sits in the Ehr's blue-decorated living room. :-) I have wanted to upgrade our living room for years, but just never came across a good deal that I was in love with. A couple months ago, my sister-in-law, Diana, called me and told be about a wooden bench at the Goodwill in Port St. Lucie. I drove right up and bought it. Later, I just happened to find a super rug half off at Lowe's. Then, I became a regular visiter to Craigslist. For those of you who don't know, it is classified ads on-line. My first find was an armoir for my computer and two printers. Perfect match to the aforementioned bench. Then, I found two side tables that also match the other pieces! Much to my surprise, less than a week later, I found an entertainment center that ALSO matched all the other stuff! I still can't believe my good fortune. Actually, I believe God put it all together for me! I mean, really, what are the odds? The pieces came from Port St. Lucie, Palm City, Stuart, Jupiter and Green Acres. And it all matches! I love sitting in my living room, now! Wanna know how much it all cost, total? Less than $650. Amazing, huh?

8 comments:

Misty said...

Isn't it amazing what God puts together for us?:-) It all looks very nice, I love Craigslist too!

Misty said...

PS: I love the music on your blog. I will have to look for the CD :)

Unknown said...

You Rock on the bargain front lines and you Roll hunting down the full matching set! I love the furniture and it is all so beautifully arranged.

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

I am very impressed. It looks so nice. Don't you think it is much more fun than just handing over a credit card that you would be paying on for months to come. I believe God gives us these good deals.

Allana Martian said...

It is much more fun! All our stuff is paid for! I can sleep at night, lol.

carla said...

I'm very happy for you. The furniture looks very nice. I just recently bought a beautiful entertainment center from Craigs List. It was just what I wanted and we didn't have to pay an arm and a leg. God is good!!

Mary Ellen said...

I thought you were getting ready to tell us you had just bought a brand new set of living room furniture (I always look at pictures first then go back and read the blog). How cool you bought it all from various places and at such great deals and that you now have a matching set!! It all looks very nice.

loree2000 said...

Way ta go! I love bargains.