Thursday, September 17, 2009

Happy "Birth" Day, Zack!




I had a good laugh when I read this joke sent to me by a friend! But it reminded me that I have something to share! We have always talked to our children about their need for Jesus, and I remember helping Zack say the sinner's prayer at a young age. Of course, we wonder what about the time when they are past the age of innocence, do they need to say that prayer again, or if they just keep on keepin' on. I'm sure it's different with each child, of course. Dealing with Zack's autism adds a whole other dimension to this subject. I believe to a certain extent, God gives much more mercy and grace to Zack than to my other children. Zack operates within the abilities that his DISabilities afford him. His autism plays out in his behavior. Social situations are hard. The more sensory input he has, the less abilitiy he has to cope. Crowds, noise, visual stimulation, all pushes his coping mechanisms to the max. He reaches overload at the slightest provocation. So, as you can imagine, discipline is an major, ongoing thing in our home. I was recently introduced to The Young Peacemaker and we have been going through the book as a family. It's amazing the difference this book has made. It really is perfect for autistic/asperger's children. This Tuesday, I was asking Zack specifically about "getting" to Heaven and how he thought that was accomplished. He said, "Well, when I get there, God will give me my punishment for being bad and then let me into Heaven." My jaw nearly hit my chest! Where had we gone wrong, and how in the world did he get THAT so mixed up?!? I told him, "No, sweet boy! That's not how it works! When you take your last breath, it's over! You have made your choice and it's time to get your consequence, Heaven OR Hell and Hell IS the punishment!" You should have seen the look of shock that came over his face and he began to cry. Real tears streaming down his cheeks (by this time, I'm crying, too!) I asked him to tell me what he was thinking and he said he realized that he has been "very horrid to Nate and James." The realization that he deserved to go to Hell because of his sinful nature and that his idea of God accepting him into Heaven no matter how badly he behaved was WAY off, really shook him up. Of course, we prayed together and he confessed that he was a sinner in need of Jesus. I tell you, it shook ME up! To see someone realize for the first time that they NEED Jesus was something else to behold! I know that on some level we all experience this on a daily basis. It's called being humble. Realizing our position of desperate need for a Savior. It also made me think about how much MORE my children need us to talk to them about the things of God. How did we miss such a big one like that?


These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7

I guess there's no such thing as too much when it comes to talking to our children about God!

We wrestle not against flesh and blood....




7 comments:

Faithe said...

You are one awesome Mom! I'm so glad you took the opportunity when it presented itself to make it a teaching moment. That is priceless and I pray the Lord will continue to guide your thoughts and open the doors for you to lead each one of your children to Him. PTL!!!

Anonymous said...

AMEN and Praise the Lord I am so very happy for Zack and thank God he has parents who are on guard for their childrens souls. love mom

Aaron and Heather said...

wow! Very powerful! Happy birthday Zach!! Give him a kiss for me :-)

Misty said...

Happy "Birth" Day indeed! I am getting tears reading this myself. Zach is very special and I believe that God can use him in a very special way someday! Keep that tender heart loving and open =)

Tracy said...

Thank you for reminding us that THIS birthday is the only one that truly matters! Praying for your sweet boy that he will continue to grow in Jesus.

Eileen said...

This is so great even now as a Mother with grown children, it is always a good thing to remember, they are always there, no matter how old they are. God is so good and we just can't let them forget that. Though there are times I feel I have failed misserable in that. He still helps us through it all. Thank you for sharing!

Sarah said...

This is such a monumental moment. Thanks for sharing his new "birth" day with us.

Hugs,
Sarah